Overview of questions
- Do I need to book space for the camping sites?
- What if the camping site is fully booked?
- What is this Overnight Tax?
- We‘re two adults with four kids – can we use 2 tents?
- Will I have to bring my own tent, or can they be rented on site?
- How much does it cost for an individual to spend one night in an Icelandic camp site?
- We are three adults, and we‘ll only be staying 10 days. Can we use the card for the three of us, but cash in two nights per night in each location?
- We are a family of five, with two kids under 16 but one 18-year-old, can we use one Campingcard?
- I‘ll be arriving late at night, will I be able to get into the camping area?
- Can I use the Campingcard during the winter?
- Will there be additional cost when staying?
- Does the campingcard also cover campervans/campers?
- For how many people are they valid?
Do I need to book space for the camping sites?
No, in Iceland you don‘t have to book a space. It is enough to simply arrive and set up camp, or register first if this is required.
What if the camping site is fully booked?
This rarely happens, but mostly if the weather is very bad in other places around the country and campers flock towards the good weather. If you feel this might be the case, we recommend calling ahead. The telephone numbers are under each campsite here.
What is this Overnight Tax?
Overnight Tax is a small tax from the government of 333 ISK charged per night. *Overnight tax will not be charged this year.
We are a family of four with two kids, are we allowed two tents?
No, unfortunately the card is only valid for one unit.
Will I have to bring my own tent, or can they be rented on site?
The camping sites do not offer rental tents, you will have to arrange for this yourself.
How much does it cost for an individual to spend one night in an Icelandic camp site?
It costs from 1.000 – 2.000 ISK per person.
I‘ll be arriving late at night, will I be able to get into the camping area?
Yes, but you will have to keep the noise at a minimum so as not to disturb other guests.
Can I use the Campingcard during the winter?
No, the Campingcard is valid from 1 or 15 May – 15 September each year.
Will there be additional cost when staying?
Excluding the overnight tax (which will not be charged this year), which is 333 ISK kr., you could have to pay for certain amenities like power, showers and the use of washing machines. *Overnight tax will not be charged this year.
Does the Camping card also cover campervans/campers?
Yes, the Camping card covers tents, camping trailers, RVs, caravans and such.
For how many people is the Camping card valid?
The Campingcard is valid for two adults and four children under the age of 16 in one tent/camper